Once in a while there is a project where you simply want to do it for love. Ortofon wanted to pay tribute to the Beatles Mono Box release. When they first heard about the project they thought: How can we contribute?
Ortofon’s background in record cutting equipment immediately made it clear that this Box deserved more than a stereo cartridge with a mono switch on the amplifier. Ortofon’s solution was to make the best moving magnet mono cartridge, eliminating the need for additional equipment. 2M Mono SE is based on the tested 2M platform, and is improved with Lexan material technology, better wiring and a very fine diamond, the Shiabata.
The cartridge body manufactured from Lexan DMX Piano White, a revolutionary material which ensures high rigidity while eliminating unwanted resonances.
– A special upgraded engine which provides a high level of sonic accuracy.
– Split pole pins with a silver plated copper wire that enhances the details in the reproduction of the sound.
– r/R 6/50µm Nude Shibata stylus – the same diamond as on the acclaimed MC Jubilee, 2M Black and MC Cadenza Black cartridges.
– Strapped output delivers the same output signal from both sets of pole pins. This effectively eliminates the need for mono-specific equipment, making it possible to enjoy true mono reproduction on any stereo playback system.
– 2M Mono SE provides excellent compatibility in an assortment of playback systems and with a wide variety of phono preamps.
Why should you use a dedicated mono cartridge for playing vinyl mono records?
On a mono record the signal is cut only in the lateral dimension whereas a stereo record is cut at +/- 45 degrees into the opposing groove-walls, see figure to the right.
A stereo cartridge will be able to replay stereo and mono records, because mono is a special version of stereo where the right and left channels are identical.
While a stereo cartridge can play mono records it can’t achieve the same signal precision between the two channels. A mono cartridge produces but one signal that is directed to both channels in the system. A mono cartridge playing a mono record produces a more forceful and stable image with a fuller, more impactful sound.
Another big advantage in using a mono cartridge to play mono records is the absence of response to vertical movement. This means that a mono cartridge is basically immune to the pinching effect which comes into action when the stylus is pushed vertically upward in very narrow grooves. Also the response to dust, dirt and wear is reduced substantially. The final result will be a clean and noiseless reproduction of the mono record.
The new 2M Mono Special Edition will be available at the same time as The Beatles Mono Box Set is introduced in early September. The 2M Mono SE will be available only through Ortofon webshop.
You can pre-order 2M Mono SE from the Ortofon shop right now for only € 400,- and save € 99,-. Be one of the first to receive 2M Mono SE.